Wednesday 23 November 2016

Poetry Analysis - "The Lake Isle of Innisfree" by W. B. Yeats

Poem:


I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee;
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping
     slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket
     sings;
There midnight’s all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet’s wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart’s core.

I found this poem while browsing around the poets.org website, and was drawn in by the generally unique name. I was happy to find that the work was coincidentally on the "recommended/required poems" list found on Mr. Tso's Poetry Unit document, and proceeded to choose this poem to feature on my poetry blog. When I first glanced the name of this work, I already knew that this poem would either be very straightforward or distastefully vague, and to by delight, the wording of this poem is anything but vague.
This poem speaks of a sort of getaway for the speaker, a place where they can relax and collect their thoughts. The way the images of this recluse are painted through solely words is, in my opinion, a very admirable and enjoyable detail of this work. Mentions in this poem include honey-bees, crickets, and the midnight view, all painted in clear pictures through only a few, simple words.
I found this poem likeable because it painted a picture of something I've always yearned for, that being a natural escape from a busy life bustling with activities, deadlines, and stress. Hailing from a household that has never struggled in the monetary department, I've always had hopes and dreams for elements of great splendour to be added to my life, despite the fact that those in charge of the family's funds deny my suggestions for enjoyment. Of course, I respect their decisions and can understand their viewpoint on my proposals, but I can never shake that urge to try and chase after my dreams. One of these dreams happens to be to find a place to visit in our free time, far from any bustling metropolis or loud, bright city, where nature can envelop me and welcome me with only the melodies of the natural world to entertain my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment